Sunday, February 6, 2011

Happy 44th

February 4th was my 44th birthday. It wasn't exactly my ideal birthday; I've been sick for over a week now and on my birthday all I wanted to do was sleep (seems to me that if you're sick on your birthday you should get a fabulous do-over). But my hubby did his best to make my birthday special. The sitter stayed over night with Queen Teen while Rick and I stayed at the house of out of town friends. We ate take out Thai food and watched the Home and Garden channel on TV, something special for us because we don't have TV. I went to bed early and slept in until after 9 AM, then read my book in the sunshine until it was time to go home. I know it sounds mighty boring, but after the hectic year I've had and a virus that turned into a sinus infection, it was divine. But wait, there was more. For my gift, my hubby had my Honda Odyssey cleaned, polished and detailed, inside and out, from the tires to the interior roof. Plus, he installed a new car stereo to replace the one that kept eating CD's. The car bath was exactly what I wanted. Now my old mini-van smells brand new and gleams in the sun, despite her chipped paint.

The dog is never riding in my car ever again.

I think I can actually say I've learned something when I was 43. On the day after my birthday I was supposed to race down to Fremont to a workshop on teaching Orientation and Mobility to toddlers, a good three hours from my home. And I was ready to do it, despite feeling like hell and sounding like a ten pack a day smoker. Last year, I would've gone, because people were counting on me to go, including a parent who couldn't go herself and was expecting me to bring back notes. I actually felt guilty for a couple of days before my birthday because I wasn't sure I'd be able to go. Then, on my actual birthday, as I was thinking about packing for the trip while blowing my nose for the hundredth time that morning, a voice inside my head said, "What the hell are you doing?" That's when I packed my overnight bag just for the evening I would spend with my hubby and not for the day after in Fremont. Sorry people, but there's no way I can safely drive three hours on my own, exhausted and slightly dizzy from a head full of snot.

Yep, I think I learned something while I was 43, and the lesson stuck. Maybe I'm over trying to be Wonder Woman.


5 comments:

Confessions of a Closet Hoarder but you can call me Judy said...

Happy Birthday! :)

Sounds like you had a lovely and relaxing time. And good for you for not going when you were so sick.

Hope you're feeling better.

ivy said...

Good Girl Terena! Guilt is a useless emotion, anyway.... Sounds like a fab birthday and a great thoughtful b-day present from your hubby. Feel better. Hugs...Ivy

EmmaVerdona124 said...

happy bday!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! With age comes wisdom! *bigsmile* - of happiness for your perfect celebration and for celebrating some growth! Which reminds me - Are 'Mom' jeans a brand name or a type of style like boot cut? I want to know before I go ask for some. If you answer here, I will get it as I subscribe to comments. Thanks! Barbara

Rena said...

"Mom Jeans" are high waisted jeans. They might be also called Classic Fit, at least they are at K-Mart (where my mom bought mine).